In the cold Irish sea, the wreck of the U-260 lies on the sandy bottom. The crew survived and reached the Irish coast in rubber dinghies.

History of the wreck
The German submarine U-260 was commissioned on 14.03.1942 after completion by the Vulkan shipyard Bremen Vegesack and sank a total of 8 enemy cruises in the North Atlantic. One sunk ship was recorded during this period.

.

Since 01.11.1944 it was under the 33rd U-flotilla Flensburg when it left Horten on 18.02.1945 under commander Oberleutnant zur See Klaus Becker with a total of 48 crew members: Operational area North Atlantic, around England and southern Ireland.

At 22:30 on March 12, 1945, the submarine ran into a mine at a depth of 80 meters and was damaged. After surfacing, all 48 crew members were evacuated when the commander abandoned the submarine and sank it himself.

The crew reached the Irish coast at Galley Head in inflatable boats and were interned.

The minefield originated from “HMS Apollo”, which apparently unlawfully laid this ground minefield in the Irish Sea.

Diving at the wreck
The wreck of the U-260 lies on a sandy, rocky bottom at a depth of 44 meters and is largely intact. The stern still has the onboard gun mounted and the propeller is also still in place. The steel plates of the turret have fallen off, exposing the conning tower. The best time to dive is 30 minutes after high or low tide when the current is at its lowest.

Torpedoes are still in the tubes and ammunition is lying around. Therefore, caution is advised.

Recommendation: Nitrox

.

Sources and links about the wreck

.

Wreck type:Submarine VII CYear built:1942
min. Dive depth:38 mLoss date:12.03.1945
max. dive depth:44 mLoss reason:Sea mine
GPS data:51. 29.09 NLocation Country:Ireland
 09.06,14 WLocation Region:Cork
Dive Site:Galley Head at ’78 rock’Personally dived?No